Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Reflection: Presentation

It was such a nerve wrecking experience to be standing out there alone to present today during ES1102!

Prior to the presentation, I practiced 2-3 times for the presentation. I thought it wasn't bad but I practiced in front of my friends. However, when I went up it was SO DIFFERENT. Unfamiliar eyes fixated upon you and it made me nervous.

Some feedback I got from my classmates were as follows:

1. Concrete information was presented, and terms used were technical. (IMO, constructive)
2. The presentation was short and sweet. (constructive)
3. There was good flow, from the beginning until the end. (constructive)
4. Spoke too fast, and audience might have not been able to digest information (things to improve on)
5. The font of the presentation slides were incompatible for viewing (things to improve on)
6. Use of cue cards


In my opinion, I guess the weaknesses highlight in my presentation is mainly due to the speed of my delivery, use of cue cards and the presentation slide. The use of cue cards, as well as the speed of delivery could have been better dealt with if I had practiced more prior to the actual presentation. In future presentation, I would practice more so as to gain more confidence in my delivery. As for the presentation slide, I guess I would check on the appearance of the slides just before the presentation and ensure its visibility with the audience.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sean!

    I am here again ^_^ ~

    I think overall you did a pretty awesome job for your presentation today. It was a new and refreshing way to execute your ideas instead of the conventional "Look at my slides" kind of presentation.

    I particularly liked the way you started the presentation with that put-yourself-in-the-shoes of your targeted audience activity by closing our eyes and imagining ourselves as a convict who was released from prison. However, like what Maeve mentioned, its pretty long and a little overwhelming. Nonetheless, you did not waste the chance to use expressive words and fluctuating tone to catch the attention of the class.

    In general, you should calm yourself down and not reflect your nervousness by talking faster and faster. It would be better if you could also memorise your script and engage in some interaction with the class as I believed it would be very interesting! (LOL)

    Good Luck for your future presentation! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie!

      Thanks for the advice, yes I think i should not be so nervous next time round. You gave a awesome presentation fyi :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much, Sean, for the very detailed reflection and the imaginative presentation. Like Angie, I really liked the way you started the talk with the closed eyes exercise. It was a bit like"suggestopedia," or hypnosis.

    You've outlined quite well in this post the feedback you got from the debriefing. Much appreciated!

    I have no doubt that your next presentation will benefit from the one you did in ES1102. Best wishes for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sean,

    It was a very interesting and refreshing presentation. Like what Angie said, it's something new. I like how you started with by putting us in the prisoner's shoes. However, like what Maeve mentioned, the "close your eyes" part was a little too long and overwhelming. I started losing focus of the topic after a while, but you managed to bring it back subsequently. But what i really like about the presentation was how you managed to link the ending to the start of your presentation.

    Good luck for your future presentations! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zhikang

      Thanks for feedback. Yeah I will definitely improve on my icebreaker prior to my future presentations! Thanks for presenting as well!

      Delete