Sunday, October 12, 2014

ES1102 Mid Term Appraisal

Personally, I feel that attending the class "ES1102" has been nothing short of useful. In this short span of 9 weeks, one of the most essential skills I learnt is perhaps writing a thesis statement. Prior to taking "ES1102", I have always written academic essays without clear theses. I had neither the skills nor the resources to construct a proper thesis. With the resources from ES1102, I was better able to write a thesis for reader responses and academic essays. 

I would also like to commend on the way the class is conducted. Firstly, I really appreciate how there is a strong focus on interaction between students. Every other week, we would be tasked to provide feedback and comment on another student's blog entry. This is great because we learn through critiquing others. When we critique others, we become more self-conscious of our own work as well. Moreover, it certainly facilitates communication between students. Brad, who is my tutor, is also a great tutor who teaches and communicates well with the students. He has clearly shown great knowledge and expertise with the English language. In addition, he is able to help students relate well to the concepts taught in class. Brad also maintains a professional and friendly demeanour which allow students to approach him easily. 

Overall, I feel the module, coupled with Brad's way of teaching, is highly beneficial to students of all disciplines and backgrounds. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the effort with this detailed mid-term assessment, Sean. Of course, I appreciate the fact that you can relate to my teaching style and to the approach we take in class. What's most satisfying for me though is when I see students progress in their work, thanks largely to their embracing the class/course culture and their great effort. You've done exactly that, and you have clearly benefited.

    Best wishes as you move forward in your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete