Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Reflection 1: "My English Language Journey"

The beauty of the English language first captivated me after reading short stories by Enid Blyton. I was in awe of how English words alone can produce beautiful stories that sparked my imagination with endless fantasies. Growing up, I vaguely remember how these stories took me to a world filled with gigantic blueberry pies and talking trains - and these were possible just with the use of simple English. My English language journey has spoken to me through various moments - of happiness and of sadness - and taught me life lessons. 

In my primary and secondary school, I learnt how the English language can either bring individuals together or drive people apart. For instance, I tended to hang with friends who spoke the same “language”, such as slangs, as I did. Sometimes, conflict arose between my friends as a result of miscommunication. However, we always reconciled with simple words of apology, such as “sorry” or “I am wrong”. It was then I realised the intricacies and power of English in influencing our lives. 

The ability of the English language to surround me with possibilities, coupled with it’s intricate nature, instilled in me the belief that English can be used to help others. Eventually I took Psychology in Ngee Ann Polytechnic where I put my English to good use. I remember when one of my clients was depressed, all it took was a simple advice and story to help him. To cheer him up, I told him a fairytale and how everything ends with a happy ending. 

The English language has definitely inspired my choices in life, as well as my passion in working with people. Now as I major in Social Work I will continue to use English to help others, and to teach them lessons about love and hope. 

[Edited as of 12 September 2014, 2.52pm]

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sean,

    Great post with so much positivity! I liked the way you started off the post, it is short and concise and it allows me to follow through and understand what I can expect from this post.
    The post is also well paragraphed and written.

    Looking forward to learning from you and see you around (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shuning! Thanks for the feedback, will definitely remember this!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sean,

    I enjoyed reading your inspirational post, and I am heartened to know that you are using English to resolve others' problems and worries. You also crafted your post with lots of descriptive examples such as "gigantic blueberry pies and talking trains", which adds life to your entry.

    I noted that you used "it's" instead of "its" in the third paragraph when referring to English's intricate nature. Apart from that tiny mistake, your post is very beautifully written.

    It's been a good read, and hope to know you better soon!

    Regards,
    Jiewei

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sean!! Thank you for such an enjoyable, inspirational and positive post! I really enjoy reading your post! :) All the best in refining your skills to help more people, and bring such positive attitudes to more people around!! Cheers! :)

    Ivy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shuning! Thanks for the feedback, will definitely remember this!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sean,
    it was enjoyable reading your post. Your reflection was clear and concise which makes it easy to read and understand. Also, your post was light-hearted and interesting to read.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sean, I enjoyed reading your post! It is so beautifully written with very little grammar mistakes. I am a fan of Enid Blyton's as well! Her storybooks were my favourite when I was in primary school. Thus your example of "gigantic blueberry pies and talking trains" really brought back memories for me! Although in my case it is the treetop countries and island adventures that I remember.

    In terms of content, your post is concise and yet still filled with examples which makes it easier for readers to understand. The only part that I don't quite understand is your last sentence, "....lessons about love, lost and hope." Why is lost used in such a way here? Could you enlighten me on this?

    Thank you for your wonderful post and I hope that you'll continue to pursue your passion in the future! Nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shuning! Thanks for the feedback, will definitely remember this!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Sean, for this heart-felt post. You communicate a very positive impression as you reflect on some of the ways that your English language journey has been positive. Reading the feedback I can see that your peer commentators have also been favorably impacted by your prose, and I tend to feel such opinions are based on the way that you tailor your content toward the beauty of the language and the way that fluency can serve as a way to build relationships.

    There are a few minor areas where you might improve, or at least clarify:

    1) ...beautiful stories that generate endless imaginations and fantasies. (How do stories *generate* imaginations and fantasies? Is that the best word to use?)

    2) ...I remembered when one of my clients was depressed.... (tense)

    3) To put him out of his misery, I told him a fairytale .... ("To put a person out of his misery" usually means to kill him.

    4) love, lost and hope. >> not parallel structures

    I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For #2, I think I'd state it as follows:

      ....beautiful stories that sparked (or: roused) my imagination with endless fantasies.

      Delete